Follow Knuckle Junkies

Chris Oth | Knuckle Junkies

Fight Hard MMA: 11-10-12 recap

By Brett Auten | Knuckle Junkies

Rob Washington and Lucas Gwaltney stood bloodied, bruised and exhausted Saturday night.

The two lightweights lived up to any and all prefight expectations in the Fight Hard MMA co-main event at the Family Arena. Through three back-and-forth rounds, it was Washington who earned a unanimous 29-28 victory.

Washington, a power-packed grappler out of Finney's MMA, was able to take Gwaltney down repeatedly in the second and third rounds, which was likely the difference maker. Gwaltney, a long, rangy finisher from Streator, Il., nearly pulled of a TKO victory at the end of both the first and the third rounds.

In the first round, after a long feeling out process, Washington finally reached Gwaltney enough to bloody his nose and then earned a takedown. Gwaltney eventually wiggled free and got back on his feet. Once he made a little room, Gwaltney landed a big shot that sent Washington reeling. Gwaltney went in for the finish, landing some big blows. As the horn sounded to end the round, Gwaltney looked as though he thought the fight was called.
Gwaltney stalked Washington down to start the second round before getting warned for elbow usage. After Gwaltney stuffed a takedown attempt, Washington landed two big lefts, which led to another powerful takedown. Gwaltney worked to get himself back to his feet before Washington scored again with another takedown before the round's end.

In the third round, Washington scored takedowns at the two and one minute mark. But Gwaltney ended the round with a spectacular flurry, throwing elbows and punches from every direction before the final bell sounded.

With the win, Washington is scheduled to get a crack at St. Charles MMA standout Zach Freeman for the first-ever Fight Hard MMA lightweight title. For video interviews with Washington and other winners from Saturday night, check back on Monday.

In the evening's main event, Tony Evinger, in her first trip to 125-pounds, out-pointed herself past Carina Damm. Evinger was able to peck away at Damm for the better part of the second and third rounds. The loss drops Damm to 17-8.

Tamikka Brents introduced herself to St. Charles fans in impressive fashion. Brents precisely and methodically pounded out a first-round win over Jessica Halverson. Brents started the fight with a flurry that sent Halverson backwards. Once on the ground, Brents was even more impressive. Keeping composed, she softened Halverson up until she found her opening and proceeded to rain down a bevy of elbows before the fight was called to a halt.

Javon Wright was hoping to catch lightning in a bottle and pick up the biggest win of his young career against Chase Beebe. Beebe, the former WEC bantamweight champion, did what he does best and worked his wrestling. Beebe eventually won with a rear naked choke in the first round.

Ira Lukowsky entered his Spire Sectional title bout with Fierce Taylor dialed in and his aggressions levels set a few notches beyond agitated. Lukowsky showed his rage in the cage in winning a decision victory. Lukowsky repeatedly mugged Taylor and under a rain of boos, Lukowsky was given the victory. This was only the third loss for the #1 rank Taylor, two coming by the hands of Lukowsky.

Michael Lobosco picked up a first-round win over Dustin Radick via ground and pound. It was after Lobosco's win when promoter Kenny Nowling took the mic and talked of a proposed bout between Micahel's brother Nick Lobosco and St. Charles MMA standout Josh Sampo in January. If and will the bout will actually transpire is anyone's guess.

Roy Davis won by a quick knockout over Toby Gvillo

Hahn MMA's Logan Santschi by decision over of Academy of Courage's Jeremiah Curtright.

Molly Welsh led off the evening with a sound, aggressive performance to remain undefeated in a 30-27 win over Britt Wilson